Monday, 12 March 2012
"It's always been this way"
– a blog from Seth Godin December 29, 2011
· The only standard is impermanence.
· It's very easy to believe that the world we live in has always been this way.
· Your ethnic group has always had a similar standing.
· Technology has always permitted certain kinds of interactions and is always improving.
· Real estate values always rise from decade to decade. (Until it didn't).
· A job has always been the standard way to make a living.
· Your chosen religion has always been practiced the way you practice it.
· People in positions of authority and leverage have always had degrees from famous colleges.
· Information has always been widely available.
As soon as you accept that just about everything in our created world is only a few generations old, it makes it a lot easier to deal with the fact that the assumptions we make about the future are generally wrong, and that the stress we have over change is completely wasted.
What assumptions do we make in the jewellery industry that hold-us back from accepting change? Take just a moment to repeat this statement to yourself: “What I’ve learned from my experience in the jewellery industry, might not be all I need to know to predict the future.”