Sunday 18 March 2012

Life of a Rep


When I began in 1987, I enjoyed everything about the jewellery industry.  I particularly thought that the sales reps had a great gig.  They drove nice cars, seemed pretty well-experienced and most appeared to really enjoy their work.  In my 11 years on the road, I’ve driven approx. 590,000km, and been told over 350 times how to fasten my airplane seat belt.

Working three provinces for a company who doesn’t have a dealer in every whistle-stop, I spend a lot of time between stops.  Recently I tipped my Tim Hortons cup in honor of my latest travel vehicle passing the 100,000km mark.  I thought about all of the things I do with all of that travel time I’ve had over the years.  This led me to the following top-10 list of ways I make a long drive fly-by without totally going insane:

10.  Audio books
9.  XM Satellite PGA channel (not for everyone!)
8.  Sunflower seeds
7.  Stop and take photos
6.  Tape-record ideas for blogs
5.  Watch for interesting number-patterns on odometer
4.  Drink Large double-double --> stop to pee --> stop to pee --> repeat
3.  Scan the landscape to watch for animals
2.  Phone home to remind yourself why you’re doing this
1.  Reminisce about how nice it was to be in retail and sleep in your own bed every night.

I love what I do and I am extremely blessed to have such supportive clients.  Thank you all for giving me something to look forward to at the end of my long drives.  See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.