Wednesday 23 January 2013

Utah Day 3


Today was mostly getting my sample bag all set-up, answering a few last minute questions and then off to the airport (with a quick stop at In-‘n-Out Burger - YUM.)  What I can tell you is that I’m a new man.  I used to be a bit of a snob for precious metals.  With the advent of new alloys of Cobalt Chrome and Zirconium Oxide, the high-style of forged Damascus Steel and traditional Mokume Gane, plus the increased complexity of multi-axial C&C machines, PERFORMANCE METALS DON’T HAVE TO BE BORING.  Simple machining allows only simple designs.  Complex machining is paving the way for performance metals to achieve some really unique styles and price-points not possible with all-gold product.

I’ve taken a few video clips of the amazing manufacturing processes.  I can show some of it publically but I have to keep others only for use with dealers for product knowledge presentations.  I’ll be working on completing those over the next few days, so that you can take that promised peek behind the scenes.

Here’s something that I’ve learned while meeting sales reps from all over the US.  I love my family of jewellers in Western Canada!!!  I’m not saying that my new friends were bad-mouthing the jewellers they’ll be calling on.  They just don’t know their markets the way I do.  Part of it is because I’ve got a relatively small population base, but the other part has to do with the number of you who network with each other and keep in contact with and include suppliers like me in your social circles.  I look forward to seeing you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.