Wednesday 20 June 2012

Vanity's Fair


Greek mythology tells the legend of Narcissus who was incredibly handsome.  Nemesis lured him to a pool where one look at himself enraptured him so much that he couldn’t stop looking at himself; and consequently died there.

A little bit of vanity is good; narcissism, not so much.  I hope that you all realize that we’re in the fashion business.  Why do people buy jewellery?  To look good or to bestow upon someone the feeling of looking good.  One of the reasons I encourage you to view jewellery as a wardrobe is that it can integrate so well into our overall fashion-sense.  There are so many ladies out there who say, “I’m not a jewellery person – all I wear is my wedding set and a couple of pairs of earrings.”  To them I say, “would you wear the same outfit of clothing every day for 25 years???”

In everything we do, we must seek to embrace current fashion ourselves including jewellery.  Would you go to a hair stylist who looks like Don King?  Would you buy a Mercedes from a guy who drives a beat-up Datsun?  Would you invest your money with someone teetering on the brink of insolvency?  I don’t think so.

I’m preaching to the choir with many of you.  I serve a lot of well-dressed fashion conscious people.  If you’re one of the few who never really gave your own personal fashion a lot of thought, maybe it’s time to start.  Billy Crystal (as ‘Nando) used to say, “It’s better to look good than to feel good, my darlings…”  In actuality, when you look good, you feel good and you feel more confident in selling fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.