Friday 27 April 2012

Campaigning


I’ve enjoyed listening to talk radio in Alberta preparing for the provincial election.  Believe it or not, it’s one way I keep my brain engaged to stave-off drowsiness while driving.  It struck me that politicians make a lot of promises, kiss a lot of babies, knock on a lot of doors and shake a ton of hands before an election.

If that’s what gets them elected, then there’s something wrong with our system.  It’s not a demonstration of what they will do if they get elected.  It’s as ludicrous as doing a dance at an audition for a guitar player.

As you campaign to get elected someone’s “personal jeweller,” I hope you’ll remember this.  When you speak to a service club, or at a function that you sponsor retell stories of extremely happy customers and how much you’ve enjoyed being a part of their special celebrations.  Rather than making campaign promises and spewing empty words, answer the question on everyone’s lips.  “What kind of experience can I expect if I elect you my personal jeweller?”  By telling actual stories, those happy customers are actually the ones campaigning for you.  And we all know that word-of-mouth advertising is the most effective!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.