Sunday 26 February 2012

Time for some “potty-talk.”


My wife’s cousin hires young people to work on loading docks.  One of his hiring questions is, “have you ever cleaned a toilet.”  An unusual question, but the point is, a mature person will do what needs doing.  Your mom does not follow you around erasing your messes.  They just accumulate.  Eeewwww.

When I started in retail jewellery in 1987 at Forest of Jewels in Heritage Mall Edmonton, I had no idea that it would be the beginning of my life’s passion.  I think Guy Forest was just happy to have another male to talk to.  Despite what some strains of modern psychology say, there are distinct differences between men and women.  Men stand, ladies sit.  It wasn’t long before one of the ladies I worked with firmly suggested that I wipe the rim of the toilet bowl after using.  I didn’t think I was that messy, but I made a habit of making sure the toilet was clean and shiny after use.  Also, after drying my hands with paper-towel, I use it to wipe around the sink.  Two simple things that ensured that nobody ever had to cleanup my disgusting mess.

Whenever I use a washroom where the same care is not taken, I realize that someone in that workplace has never stepped-up and made the “firm suggestion” that everyone have a hand in keeping a tidy and sanitary workplace.  So, here it is.  Even if you can’t see your sprinkles fellas, they’re there and you need to wipe them up.  Use the toilet brush when necessary.  Toothpaste and soap don’t spontaneously evaporate.  It takes a rinse and maybe even a wipe to erase evidence of your trip to the loo.

If you don’t think it’s important enough, consider the client that needs to use your washroom.  What kind of impression are you making on them if it’s worse than a truck-stop rest room.

There.  Now it’s been said.  Everyone enjoy a nice clean workplace.  Then when it’s your turn to clean and disinfect the washroom and lunchroom, it won’t ruin your entire day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.