Tuesday 18 September 2012

Just say, "No" Already!


Biggest pet peeve in jewellery sales?  It’s got to be when a client withholds the truth and doesn’t tell you how they really feel about what you’re trying to sell them!  They walk away and you have no clue whether they really liked the last thing you showed them.  They must think they’re trying to spare our feelings by not saying, “there’s no way I’d ever wear that,” or “actually it’s out of my budget and I don’t like it enough to stretch my budget.”

If that’s your biggest pet peeve, then you’re not asking enough closing questions.  Plain and simple.  I’m not going to go into an entire selling/closing discussion here, but if you don’t know what I’m talking about, ask your boss. 

For those of you who do know what I’m talking about, check yourself this week.  During every sales presentation, make sure you probe to see if you’re closing the best possible design.  My pal Lilian is really good at sensing when a sale is going nowhere, and asks whether the ring is too wide, or the price too high, or if the client would like to explore other options; all in order to redirect the sales process to a more suitable option.

If you seldom hear a client give you a firm “yes” or a firm “no,” then you’ve probably not asked them a decisive closing question.  Just watch an episode of Say Yes to the Dress.  Every bride gets asked the famous closing question, “Are you going to say yes to this dress?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.