Tuesday 11 September 2012

Who Will be Next?


When I began selling jewellery at Forest of Jewels in Heritage Mall Edmonton, I discovered a whole world of career paths.  The one I thought was the most attractive was the glamorous life of a sales rep.  Now I am one, and I’m wondering who’s next?  When I was looking to take the leap from retail to wholesale, there were a few young guns all positioning themselves to step-up when the next line came available.  Now it seems like the industry has to coax reps-turned-retailers to get back out on the road, like Gord Lawlor is doing and Gary Ward has done.

Could it be that my colleagues and I are so revolting that younger members of the business would never want to wind-up like us?  While I struggle every single year with the strain on family and rising expenses, I still love doing it.  I have amazing clients who have become great friends, there are nice periods of time-off in the summer and winter that I treasure and I’m making a decent living.

What’s not to like?  Well, if you want to take part in weekly activities in your community, this might not be the life for you.  If you don’t have a supportive spouse who can (and is willing to) hold-down the fort during your absences, it’s impossible.  Those paranoid about personal security should probably avoid this life.  Travelling expenses can range to over $30 or 40K, so it is requires significant investment.  While you can look at historical sales of a company to determine your income, there are no guarantees.  If you don’t work, you won’t eat.

I'm not looking for a replacement for myself, but if you’re interested in becoming a sales rep, let’s have a coffee and talk about it.  I love it, but it’s not for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.